In addition, BGV Club breeders will:
15. breed only to improve the quality of the BGV, selecting a stud dog/bitch to be mated based on researched compatibility of pedigrees, conformation and temperament and being aware of health conditions in the breed and BGV Club research work to overcome these. This includes taking into account DNA test results in the case of PBGVs.
16. not knowingly engage in cross-breeding.
17. share all findings regarding their breeding, including providing evidence of health clearances of BGV breeding stock as required by the BGV Club, also for acceptance onto the BGV Club's Breeders Directory.
18. only breed from a PBGV sire and dam who, unless hereditary clear, have been DNA tested and do not engage in breeding the following combination of dogs - affected to affected, affected to carrier and carrier to carrier.
19. not breed from any BGV bitch under the age of 18 months or before the second season should this occur prior to the bitch attaining the age of 18 months. No BGV bitches to be mated under any circumstances prior to their first birthday in line with the KC guidelines.
20. recommend that all puppies are identified by micro-chip, tattoo or DNA profile, if not already done so.
21. ensure no puppy changes hands under 8 weeks of age.
22. ensure puppies are in good health at time of sale.
23. provide the following at the time of sale/transfer:
* a contract of sale to be signed, with one copy retained by the purchaser, including details
of any known cosmetic faults; breeders should include in the contract of sale a
recommendation that all PBGVs should be likewise eye tested between the ages of 2 and
* a record of inoculations and worming with guidelines for continuing the schedule;
* advice on care and grooming specific to the breed;
* information on known health problems in the breed and provisions for making contact
for help with care, health or welfare;
* guidance on encouraging the new owner to have their own vet check within a specified
time to be assured of the puppy/dog's health status.
24. Whether or not the KC documents are available, explain any breeder-placed endorsements on the registration and obtain signed confirmation of awareness and acceptance from the new owner/s before or at the time of physical transfer of the BGV to its new owner.
25. In the case of PBGVs, breeders will:
* follow the recommendation that, before mating , a BVA eye test with
Gonioscopy is carried out.
* give Puppy Buyers proof of POAG status of both parents.
* for progeny, provide the following information:
* the status of the puppy if known (based on the parents' results) ie Clear to
Clear producing Clear, or Affected to Clear producing Carriers.
* In the case of a Clear to Carrier mating, either:-
test the entire litter to establish the status of the puppies prior to sale;
endorse the litter and inform the purchaser that a DNA test will be required
prior to the endorsement being lifted.
* if intending to export a puppy from a Clear to Carrier mating, arrange for a DNA test
to be carried out before export.
26. when breeding dogs, adopt as a minimum standard the principles, requirements and recommendations as embodied in the Kennel Club's Assured Breeder Scheme. It is strongly recommended that members who breed should apply to join the Scheme.